Total Pageviews

Friday, October 5, 2012

Cheese Breadsticks

For the longest time, I have wanted to try out the tangzhong (???) or water roux method of baking, which is a baking technique made popular by the Japanese and then widely adopted by Taiwanese and other bakers in Asia.

The tangzhong method of preparing the dough delivers soft and fluffy bread that stays fresh without the use of any preservatives. Many Asian food bloggers swear by the method; I have been fascinated by the technique but only have a chance to try it out recently.

The tangzhong method lies in the creation of a “bread starter” by cooking the bread flour and water mixture until it reaches the temperature of 65° C. This 65° C bread starter increases the moisture absorption of the typical dough and hences produces soft, light, and pillowy bread. There are many recipes online using the tangzhong method and I decided to try cheese breadsticks because both little G and I love it. It’s one of those things that he would always asks for whenever we are at an Asian bakery store.

Cheese Breadsticks

As you all know, I’m an inexperience baker so the method took me the whole afternoon. The end result of the cheese breadstick was satisfactory and we all enjoyed the warm and soft breadsticks that were fresh off the oven. I left some of them at room temperature for a few days but I personally find that there is no difference compared with the breads I got from the bakery. The cheese breadsticks didn’t stay soft and fresh after the first day.

Anyway, I’m still glad that I tried out the cheese breadstick recipe and the tangzhong method. As to whether or not I will continue to use this method to bake, I probably won’t. Living in Irvine, we are spoiled with the many varieties and very good baked goods sold by Asian bakery stores. To me, it’s just so much easier to buy from the store. ;)

Get Recipe(Click Page 2 for the Cheese Breadsticks Recipe)

Pages: 1 2

Ham and Cheese Buns

Contributor: Ho Siew Loon I have always loved baking. One of my friends has asked me to bake something savoury for a change and  Bee gave me an idea of coming out with buns wrapped in different types of filling and toppings. I decided to combine two sinfully good ingredients—ham and cheese. It was quite challenging to bake these ham and…

Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pão de Queijo)

When I was working in LA, every week my colleagues and I would go to The Farmers Market at the Grove for the Brazilian BBQ. Pampas Grill—the stall selling the BBQ—is probably one of the most popular eateries at the Farmers Market. There is always a long line of patrons lining up for the hot-off-the-grill, juicy, and scrumptious Brazilian BBQ,…

Carrot Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

One of my favorite root vegetables is carrot. I love carrot in my soups, drinks (carrot juice), so it’s no surprise that I love carrot cake, even though the idea of adding carrots to a cake is somewhat bizarre, but carrot cake is a good cake. My contributor Pick Yin at Life is Great is here to share her carrot…

Hokkaido Soft Bread (Hokkaido Milk Loaf)

If you love Rasa Malaysia, it’s very likely that you love Asian food, and probably love Asian-style pastry. Call me bias but I personally think that Asian-style bread and pastry are better and have a lot more varieties than those you get from regular stores. I am a huge fan of Japanese and Taiwanese bakery shops, they are just great….


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment