Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Thai Basil Squid

Thai roasted chilli paste or nam prik phao is the secret to many dishes in Thai cuisine; it’s what gives Tom Yum and many Thai dishes their oomph. Recently, the chili paste has become a staple in my pantry. I use it to make various dishes, for example: fried rice and clams.

This Thai basil squid is flavored with dollops of Thai roasted chilli paste and heaps of fresh Thai basil leaves, a few bird-eye’s chilies, with a hint of lime juice and fish sauce completing this delicious dish.

Thai Basil Squid

If you are in the United States, you can get nam prik phao at many Asian stores, the brand is “Pantai” brand. If you like, you can also make the chili paste from scratch, following recipes from my two trusted sources: Chez Pim and She Simmers. You can also try out my other favorite squid recipe: Taiwanese 3-cup squid, which is equally delectable.

Get Recipe(Click Page 2 for the Thai Basil Squid Recipe)

Pages: 1 2

Clams Recipe: Hoy Lai Ped (Spicy Clams in Thai Roasted Chili Paste)

One early morning in January when I was home in Penang, my brother, sister, nephew, our maid and I set off to a clam-digging expedition in a little island off the coast of Penang. In less than two hours, we dug two buckets full of big, fat, and succulent fresh clams, after we got both our hands and feet wet,…

Tom Kha Gai Recipe (Thai Coconut Chicken Soup)

Tom Kha Gai–everyone’s favorite Thai coconut chicken soup–is one of the Thai recipes that I have always always wanted to make but never did. Why? Because there are plenty of good Thai restaurants in the US that serve pretty authentic Thai food. So, it’s no surprise that this is my virgin Tom Kha Gai–my first attempt at home. It was…

Basil Chicken (Gai Pad Krapow)

When I was working in Beverly Hills, there is this Thai restaurant that my colleagues and I would always go to. One of my favorite dishes was its spicy basil chicken rice plate—perfectly steamed and fluffy jasmine rice coupled with ground chicken meat infused with aromatic Thai basil leaves. It was delicious, with fine balance of fiery hot and savory….

Three-Cup Squid (????)

I love squid but I hate cooking squid. There is just too much work when it comes to squid—peeling off the membrane, removing the ink, and so forth. I had so many “accidents” when the squid ink squirted all over my clothes and face, and it really wasn’t pleasant, and I would smell like a squid no matter how hard I…


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment